Thursday, December 30, 2010

Best Grasshopper Fly Fishing Patterns

I know that I am jumping the gun by about 6-7 months but this last summer I finally discovered a grasshopper pattern that was exceptionally productive for Idaho Fly Fishing. Like many of you I have tried numerous different grasshopper patterns with varied success.

The Joe's Hopper has been all but worthless, including all the subtle variations.

The parahopper (grey and tan bodies) has been a good fly and has caught a lot of fish. It's always good to have some of these in sizes 8-14. One big problem with the parahopper: floatation! Once this fly is taken a few times you can't keep it on the surface. Add a dropper? It will sink the fly every time, which is frustrating at best!

I tried various foam hoppers with varying success.

Finally this year, thanks to Portneuf River Outfitters in Pocatello, I discovered a foam hopper pattern that the fish consumed with eagerness. One day on the Blackfoot, I caught around 50 fish (mostly 6-10 inchers) on this pattern. They were attacking it with abandon. I even hooked and landed 3 20+ inchers in this fly while losing 5-6 more.

So what is the pattern? Alas, I don't have a picture at the moment but I will post a picture with the additional info on my next post. Stay tuned!

Plastic Waterproof Fly Box - White
Terrestrial Trout Fly Fishing Flies Collection
Handbook Of Hatches: Introductory Guide to the Foods Trout Eat & the Most Effective Flies to Match Them
Okuma S-903-5 Cascade Fly Combo (5wt, 9-Feet)

3 comments:

Dustin's Fly Box said...

I have some cool hopper patterns I have come up with you might want to check out. I meet Roger once in Pocatello on my last visit. Great guy

Cindy said...

Do you know the name of your hopper pattern or have a picture? Thanks!

JC said...

Mark, what's this pattern you discovered?

J